A pox on my house.

Did someone wish a pox upon my house? Because it worked.


Even sick, still doesn't care if you see her face.
Tuesday afternoon, just as I was beginning to eat lunch, Sutton's day care called to let me know she had a fever and was acting puny.

Cue mom reaction: My baby? Nooooo!

Quicker than the bat of an eyelid (not really, but close), I was leaving work and hurrying to get my girl. She felt hot, and looked miserable. A small rash--just a few pink spots--had appeared around her mouth and on her arms. A few spots on her legs, too.

She has good timing at least, since that afternoon she was already scheduled to see the doctor for a 6 month exam. They weighed her (15 lbs 9 oz) and took her temperature (102.1). The doctor guessed she had something viral, probably Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease (not to be confused with Hoof and Mouth--she's not bovine), possibly some kind of chicken pox. Either way, it was something that simply needed to run its course.

He advised keeping her comfortable with Tylenol, lukewarm baths, and lots of loving.


Wednesday is apparently Bump Day, not Hump Day. Those poor, chunky thighs.
Wednesday, the rash began to spread. It was getting pinker, and there were blisters forming in it. It surrounded her mouth, was spreading down her arms to her hands, and was on her legs. She napped in short spurts, and when she was awake, was crying about ninety percent of the time. Her fever was lower, but had not broken.

Thursday morning she awoke with no fever. Yippee! Except the rash was red and angry looking, much worse than the day before. By another stroke of fortune, I had a doctor's appointment for my annual physical. We share a physician, so I brought her with me. And though we were there for me, he was very concerned about Sutton and the quick progression her rash had taken in a few short days. He prescribed an antibiotic to keep the rash from becoming infected and taking on a life of its own.

Thankfully she was in much better spirits that day, but you could tell she was still very uncomfortable.

Oh, did I mention that she turned 6 months old on Thursday? Happy half birthday, little one. Six months ago, you endured physical trauma so rough that it literally caused your skull to be misshapen. Now you are covered in a blistered, red rash. I promise not every birthday will be like this!

Today, Friday, she's home with her Daddy while I'm back at work. When leaving this morning I felt almost as I did when my 3 month maternity leave was up. "No, I'm not ready! I need to be here with her!" Thankfully, he sends photo updates. Her rash is still quite nasty and mean, but it's on the mend. And her smiles are still really sweet.

Here's praying it clears up quickly. I think she's tired of mom and dad and ready to get back to school to play with her friends. Or to seek revenge through baby bio-terrorism by sneezing on whomever got her sick.

For my part, I hope she sticks to playing sweetly.

Pox- and disease-free babies to you and yours,
xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now that's my mama's style.

SpaPeggy and Meatballs.

Love and marriage.