Holiday tidings.

Today, as you are likely aware, is November 1st. (Rabbit, rabbit!) You know what that means. The holiday season is nigh and the weight gain is about to begin. 

Yay!


I started Christmas shopping in July. I had a slice of pumpkin pie with whipped cream for  breakfast this morning. (Pumpkin pie with my coffee in the a.m.? Could this day start out any better?!) I'm already trying to figure out what dishes I can prepare for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I love the holidays.

It's also about mini-pumpkins IN cornucopias!
Only in recent years have I really come to anticipate Thanksgiving. I suppose age and maturity (and being forced to participate in meal prep because my mom thinks I'm a grown-up now) has helped me see how wonderful Thanksgiving is. You get all the family, food, and love, without the stress of the shopping. We all know what the holiday is about: giving thanks, pilgrims and Native Americans breaking bread together, mini-pumpkins, and cornucopias. But let's get real. This is a holiday that, for most of us, is strictly about getting together and eating. I'm ashamed it took me so long to appreciate this wondrous event. (I do give thanks and all that good stuff, too. Promise.) 


But I've always been a Christmas girl. Patrick doesn't understand why I can listen to Christmas music or watch Christmas movies in the middle of summer. He sees it as lessening the impact of the season once it arrives. I see it as extending the anticipation. Once, when I was perhaps 11 or 12, I actually pulled out a pile of Christmas decorations, strung lights around the room, set up a few little Christmas village houses--the whole shebang--in my bedroom. In July. On top of that bit of crazy, I truly get "the Christmas Spirit." I'm generally in a better mood from November 1 to January 1.

January 2 is always a pretty big let-down, though, isn't it? It's no longer the holidays; it's just cold. The decorations on the streets and in the stores have all come down and somehow, everything looks empty and sad. Most of us are a tad more plump. There are a million and one references to New Years' resolutions reminding you that you got fat and swimsuit season is only a few months away.
Preach, Calvin.

Ah, but look at me, getting ahead of myself. I have two whole months to enjoy the cooler, drier weather and the joy this time of year brings me. Not only that, we still have other things to think about. Time change is this weekend (how will we cope?). Getting reacquainted with our winter wardrobes. (Boots and coats! Hallelujah!) What we'll wear to holiday parties. Breaking out our favorite crock-pot recipes. Switching from white wines to reds. And I'm sure I can find lots of things to complain about in as sarcastic a way as I can manage.

The fun is only just beginning. Happy Start of the Holidays, all!

Comments

  1. Oh Rebecca! I am so glad you have started a blog. However, I will refrain from referring to you as an official "blogger" until you've maintained the site for a continuous 6 months or so. (I think that's the accepted blogger requirement...) ;) Anyways, I agree with you about the anticipation of the holidays with early Christmas tunes. I love everything about the holidays except the fact that I can't wear booty shorts anymore. Of course I could, like a true Canadian, but then there's too much backlash and let's be honest--I am too cranky to deal with that sh**, eh?... So I guess I'll put on my leggings and smile. :) But Happy upcoming Holidays to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want you to know that I had posted something super awesome about Canadians and Holiday love and booty shorts but it got erased. Ugh. But Happy Holidays! I am so glad you are blogging. The "Blogger" title is yet to be determined though. ;)hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for giving me a chance to one day become an obnoxious "blogger." :) And I found your other comment, so it is here for all to see!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Say something clever or complimentary. Bonus points for both at the same time!

Popular posts from this blog

Now that's my mama's style.

SpaPeggy and Meatballs.

Love and marriage.