These quotes are "inappropriate."

'Tis election season (oh, the joy), and that means the campaign signs are being routinely stolen by the evil (whichever party you hate) from where they were placed on the sides of the roadways the good guys (whichever party you love). Putting aside how much sign stealing bothers me, the thing I enjoy (oh yes, enjoy) about campaign signs is the flagrant misuse of quotation marks. 

A single example: A few weeks ago, my husband and I got an after-work adult beverage at a bar near our home. Across the street was a sign.


Re-elect [candidate]
"Sheriff"

So, is he not actually the sheriff now? Are these like sarcastic air quotes? What is he if not a real sheriff, but a "sheriff"?

For what it's worth, their name gives away a pretty solid clue as to their primary intended use. For marking quotations. As in, things other people have said. Not for emphasizing. Not for highlighting. For quoting. I don't want "real" ice cream. I want REAL ice cream, thankyouverymuch.

I was once sent a link to this "amazing" blog: www.unnecessaryquotes.com. There's some fun stuff happening there, and I thought maybe you'd enjoy it, too. One or two of you might, anyway. The rest of you probably think I'm banana-sandwich cray for finding it entertaining. C'est la vie.

Oh, don't forget to go do some research and make an informed vote. God Bless 'Merica!


 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now that's my mama's style.

SpaPeggy and Meatballs.

Love and marriage.