The great disconnect.

In life, we all have to face up to some really tough things. Often times, those things are the disconnect between what we somehow thought would happen, and what actually happened.

A primo example, stated eloquently by my sister-in-law:

Never in a million years [...] could I have imagined that I would make my living moving rich peoples crap from one end of the world to the other. What happened to my dream of being discovered in Starbucks by a Hollywood agent? Or someone secretly recording me singing karaoke and putting in YouTube and then the producers of American Idol find it and cancel the upcoming season because I win automatically?!

I have recently had to face something along those lines. After 4-5 months of dedicated (?) blogging, I have had to face the fact that I will never make my living as a blogger.

Now, now, settle down. I know you're shocked by this, based on the blazing popularity of this thing. (That's sarcasm, in case you missed it.)

When I told Patrick as much, he replied, "Was that the goal?"

"Well, no, that wasn't the goal, but it would be pretty cool! I'd be a 'writer'. But, I have no idea how people make a living with blogs anyway. Oh well."

Apparently, one must actually work at making a blog a success. It rarely just picks up steam all on its own. And there's something called "monetizing your blog." I think that means putting ads on it. I don't know. And based on Patrick's reply, the assumption is that making a living by blogging requires that the wannabe blogger make it a priority or something.

Pish posh. That sounds like work to me. I HAVE a job. One with health insurance and retirement. And then whenever the mood strikes, with no schedule or pressure, I put some words to paper, do a poor job of proof reading, and send it out for the world to see! 

I suppose that's good enough for me. I only started this thing after reading some other blogs and thinking, "Surely, I can write something at least as interesting as that." (At this point, that's debatable, but hey, whatevs.)

However, if I ever take off like a shot and people start referring to me as a "famous, local blogger," I intend to become insufferably full of myself. As one who will have become famous for spilling whatever random Boring thing is in my brain, I will be a natural at it. 

Hmmm... In light of that, maybe it's best I don't succeed. I will have to be satisfied with giving you the occasional break from thinking and myself the occasional chance to share with you the delightfully Boring details of my Boring little life.

So, let me tell you about this AMAZING basket I scored at Marshall's the other day!... Huh? Too Boring? Oh, okay, sorry. Until next time, then.

Comments

Post a Comment

Say something clever or complimentary. Bonus points for both at the same time!

Popular posts from this blog

SpaPeggy and Meatballs.

Now that's my mama's style.

An experiment with punctuality: the first week.