Stand on up, now.

Didjya know that sitting will kill you? Surely by now you've read the articles. Along with sugar, artificial sugar, GMO corn, our cell phones, our fast food and junk food, the sun, our sunblocks, house cleaners, mildew, mold, carrying heavy purses, sitting on our wallets, eating non-organic anything, eating meat, eating dairy, eating wheat, (my goodness--what's left?!) and sniffing model glue, sitting is the hot new trend in silent killers.

Fortunately, I am on my feet all day long.

Wait. No. The opposite of that. I am on my butt all day long.

But wait! I often walk on my lunch breaks, and work out multiple times a week! Oh, but never mind. Turns out that won't help counteract the fact that I am immobile for the majority of my waking hours. (So say the articles that citing these reports, anyway.)

I like to think that I take ample breaks to stand up and move around, but the truth is that I primarily only get up to go to the bathroom. If it weren't for the fact that I drink enough water to satisfy the thirst of a thousand desert travelers, I'd never move except to get lunch out of the fridge and sit back down. And I have a mini fridge in my office, so it's not exactly a long trek to fetch my salad. It's more like a round trip of about 10 steps.

What's a girl to do, then?

After reading about (and reading about and reading about) how sitting will kill me, I made the decision to convert my desk at work to a standing desk.

"Convert" is a pretty generous term. Upon first arriving to work one day last week, I tackled this task by slinking around my office like a sneaky little scavenger, looking for objects to use so I could give this whole standing desk thing a trial run. I needed something to put on my desk to plop my monitors and keyboard on that wouldn't cost me anything in case I hate it. How fortunate, then, that I work in an office that publishes the Florida Statutes and Laws of Florida! Books galore! Thick ones, too!

I presently have three sets of Florida Statutes (2009-2011, if you care) and the 2011 and 2012 Laws of Florida, plus a hardback copy of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil holding my monitors, keyboard and mouse at an appropriate height for me to work.

It's been a week or so, and so far, I'm still standing. I kick off my heels and put on my walking shoes as soon as I stroll in my office. It's worth noting that, apparently, walking shoes were made for walking and not for standing in one place all day. (You're probably as surprised by this revelation as I was.) I've been given a tip to get good, supportive shoes, or a nice cushy mat. Oh, and compression hose to avoid the dreaded varicose veins.

Now that's a dedication to one's health: orthopedics and compression hose. Whew! Is it hot in here or is that just the sexiness?

Has anyone ever tried it? Thought about it? What do you think about the whole standing desk thing?

Comments

  1. I'm very impressed at your dedication... especially with the orthopedics and compression hose...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Say something clever or complimentary. Bonus points for both at the same time!

Popular posts from this blog

Now that's my mama's style.

SpaPeggy and Meatballs.

Love and marriage.