I'm mentally running away.

A fun thing I like to do is take an idea and RUN with it!

Well, mentally run with it. Sometimes for just hours, and sometimes for days or weeks.

I suspect I keep myself out of a lot of trouble (and probably miss out on some good adventures) by mentally running away with various ideas that captivate me. How so? By mentally exhausting myself with whatever hair-brained idea has cropped up in the old gourd and, essentially, trying out a fad without ever investing any actual energy or money into it.

I do this when I want to redecorate (and eventually get exhausted at how much work DIY would be and decide I like my place pretty much as it is); when I want to try a new exercise class (and then get over the excitement of the idea by calculating how much it would cost me--that'll kill a buzz pretty quick); when I get the idea that I want to be a stay-at-home wife (and then remember how I dislike housework and how much it would cost Patrick to cover my benefits).

On today's agenda of ideas to run wild with? Eating Paleo.

When I first saw that word, I thought it would be pronounced "pah-LAY-o". I don't know why I thought that. I just did, 'kay?

Then I found out it's "PAY-lee-o". Like paleolithic. The so-called "Cave Man Diet." (Cave dwellers weren't into gender equality, that's why it's not called the "Cave Person's Diet." Rude.)

Then I heard about people doing the Whole30 challenge, which sounded to me, frankly, like a nightmare. No grains, no dairy, no beans/legumes, no alcohol, no white potatoes or corn, no sugar (real or artificial, not even honey), no processed anything for 30 days while you "reset" your intake and relationship to food.

Pardon moi? No le bleu cheese? No half and half OR stevia in my coffee? Sacrebleu!


omg. no way.

Apparently you are allowed LOTS of coconut products. Coconut oil. Coconut milk. Coconut cream. Coconut butter. Coconut water. Shaved coconut. People on this thing are nuts about coconuts.

Like I said. Nightmare.

Then a curious thing happened. Recently I stumbled across an article about it. People praising it to the sky. That got me curious enough to dive into the Google machine and find some more information on it. I came across the official website of the Whole30 people. I read those testimonials. Apparently a "paleo" diet cures everything from heartburn to anemia to just feeling lousy.

Wow!


Working exactly as intended, those testimonials lit me up. I was hot for Whole30. "By golly, I'm going to do the Whole3o challenge," I said to myself!

How pumped up I was.

And thus, I was running away with the idea. (See how FUN?! Just like I said it was!)

I spent too much time looking for "what to eat for breakfast on whole30" (um, veggies and steak and eggs?). I found blogs. I found recipes. I found nothing telling me if Whole30 will solve my woes so that I no longer have to suck in. Bloating, I hate you!

I mean, really, I was all fired up to Whole30 the HECK outta my diet. (I would've said H-E-double-hockey-sticks, but I'm hanging tough in giving up the cussing for Lent!) I was going to be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. I was going to set a new personal best in my marathon training. I was going to lean up and have obliques that pop!

Hmm... but no oatmeal for breakfast? With no maple syrup and no milk on top? Sad. No beans in my chili? Sad. No alcohol? Well, Lent is almost over so I'm not keen to give that up for 30 more days. No gorgonzola or mashed potatoes? No bacon? (It's processed.) Sad, sad, sad.

Oh, and I don't run marathons. I don't even run 1/26th (and .2) of a marathon. And I was never going to be able to leap over buildings anyway, unless they're lego buildings. Little ones.

And just like that, I gave up on Whole30.

Instead of 30 days, it was more like a Whole30 seconds. But they were 30 intense seconds!

I mean, maybe one day I'll dive in and give it a shot. (Maybe next February, when there are only 28 days.) But, until then, will you please pass the alcohol, cheese and bread? I'm exhausted from thinking about not having them in my life. Thanks.

Comments

  1. This one really got me laughing... It was an intense 30 seconds just reading it. I'm proud of you for going "all in" even for 30 seconds. That's dedication...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Say something clever or complimentary. Bonus points for both at the same time!

Popular posts from this blog

Now that's my mama's style.

SpaPeggy and Meatballs.

Love and marriage.