Journey of sugar and delight. And then stairs.

This one feels a like a bit of a ramble to me. You've been warned.


On my birthday last year, I announced that I had a baby in my belly. This year, I'd like to announce that I had a Food Baby in my belly.

Yesterday I turned 32 years old. (Don't cry for me, Argentina.) To celebrate, I took the day off work, spent too much money on clothes for my daughter, and ate, ate, ATE! And, it was soooo good.

Allow me to describe for you my journey of sugar and delight:
My husband, my knight in shining glasses and (sadly) Gator gear, left the house at 6:30 in the morning just to get some Krispy Kreme doughnuts for me. Healthy? HA--not on your life. Delicious? HA--you bet your life.

Then for lunch, he took me out to Kool Beanz where I had bay scallops in angel hair pasta and an Orange Blossom beer. If you ever have the distinct pleasure of being in Tallahassee, I highly suggest them for lunch or dinner or, most deliciously, Sunday brunch. Lobster mac 'n' cheese... nom.

For dinner, he donned his chef hat (not really) and made grilled steak, green beans, and oven-baked fries. I think in the South, you're constitutionally required to eat and enjoy green beans. I'm a law-abiding citizen, so I ate and enjoyed not just the beans, but my perfectly bloody filet and my wonderfully crunchy oven fries.

To end the meal, which we shared with my cousin who is a mere 9 days younger than me, we split 3 cupcakes 3 ways and had a little cupcake flight.

Oh yeah, I also ate a spinach and goat cheese croissant from Earth Fare that I picked up while out and about mid-morning.

To summarize:
Mucho foodo in my pie-hole-o.

My feelings on my feastings are mixed. There's a little, "I really didn't eat very well", mixed with lots of "I don't give a rat's patootie; that was AWESOME!" and topped with a sprinkling of, "Mkay, let's get it together now."

Since I annoyingly feel like I need to make it a point to get some kind of movement today, I've walked up and down 8 flights of stairs and marched in place at my desk for approximately 15 seconds. In addition, I've read a blog about someone else's 100-day challenge to eat right and exercise, which makes me feel, like, super accomplished and healthy. I was even briefly inspired to do the same thing--to pick a set number of days and share with you all what I ate and what kind of exercise I do or don't get. I quickly began to be afraid that if I did, the end result would look something like this:

Breakfast: oatmeal
Lunch: big salad
Dinner: chicken and roasted veggies
Exercise: Does walking into daycare to get my child count?

Not Fun. Definitely Boring. Certainly not inspiring.

It's not the diet that messes me up too much. I eat well a majority of the time. (Technically 51% is a majority, sooo...) It's the exercise. I used to work out before work. Now I'd have to wake up at some God-forsaken hour like 4:30 or 5:00 to accomplish that. Which means I'd need to be in bed by, um, 8:00pm. My 5 month old goes to bed at 7:30 or 8:00. I think I ought to be able to stay up later than a 5 month old.

I could work out on my lunch break, but I think honesty is a virtue. As such, I honestly admit I'm simply not willing to break a sweat then come back to work. I'd feel gross, my hair would look worse than usual, and my makeup would sliding off my face like some kind of Dali clock off a table. No spank you.

After work, the evenings are a bit of a whirlwind. Get home, spend some Q.T. with our cutie, and in no specific order, cook/eat/bath/bottle/feed solids/baby bedtime/cleanup. By the time that whole thing is wrapped up, it's sometimes 9pm.

Call them excuses if you will, since that's what they are. But they're also very real obstacles for me. You have a tip on how I can overcome this? Feel free to share. Seriously.

Maybe I should do it anyway--blog about my diet and exercise. Maybe it will become a place of emotional support for those dozens of us who have great intentions and rotten follow-through. I'll call it, "I Didn't Workout Today Because..." That could be the kind of blogging gold that will net me my 87th "like" on facebook.

Doughnuts and smelly office stairwells to you and yours,
xo

What do you think? Would anyone be interested in seeing what my daily meals and exercise (or lack thereof) look like? Let me know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now that's my mama's style.

SpaPeggy and Meatballs.

Love and marriage.