Moving on up.

Big news for me. Mildly interesting news for you.

Remember when I drew this and declared that I wanted a house?



Isn't is just dreamy?


Well, guess what: the Sheffields, we's a-movin'.

This time next week will see us in a new abode, one that we *gasp* hope to buy soon!

[Insert squealing like a little girl and happy dances to the tune of "Totally Tulip."]

The circumstances of our move and potential purchase are a little unusual and I might eventually explain (or not, you know, whatevs), but for now what you need want probably don't care to know is that we'll be in this house as renters for the time being, but hopefully as owners before too much longer.

This house has a lot going for it, and a lot going against it.

In the Pros column we have:
Location. It's in one of our favorite neighborhoods in town, and not too far from our current place.

Good bones. It is in pretty good shape, structurally speaking.

NO MORE STAIRS. Our apartment is upstairs and has the steepest, most exhausting stairs I've ever used.

Double-pane windows. Spend a summer in Florida in an upstairs apartment with single-pane windows and only two air vents for the whole front half of the apartment (kitchen, living, and dining areas) and tell me double-pane windows aren't a gift from God.

Neighbors. It's up the road from one of my best good friends. (Please hold and imagine Kenny G is playing while I fantasize about neighborhood cookouts where we all laugh joyously over drinks while the kids play wholesome games before we just walk home.
.
.
.
.
.
Thank you for holding.)

Great size. A McMansion this place is not. But it's also not a slightly-too-small-to-comfortably-have-company, upstairs apartment that gets boiling hot in summer.

In the Cons column (and yes, you noticed that I don't have these actually set up as columns--I dare say we'll all survive):
It's a fixer-upper. Original 1950's countertops in the kitchen and bathrooms. Pistachio green bathroom tile. BABY BLUE KITCHEN--the cabinets, the walls, the ceiling, for crying out loud. Awful, just awful, lighting. As in, "Did you turn the light on already? Oh, you did?!" I could go on and on, but needless to say, it's not to our taste. Getting it to suit our tastes won't be easy and word on the street is it's not free either.

Darn those streets and the words that are on them.

In the battle of optimism vs. pessimism, I generally lean to the optimistic side. So, I move back to the Pros column:
A HOUSE! HOORAY!

This move will be my ninth since leaving home for college *coughcough* years ago. Hopefully, this will be my last for many, many moons.

Feel free to tell me how excited you are about our move and possible purchase. I know you want to.

Spackle and paint to you and yours,
xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SpaPeggy and Meatballs.

Now that's my mama's style.

An experiment with punctuality: the first week.