Why weddings rock.

Well, this was supposed to have posted automatically on Friday afternoon. I guess I still have to figure out a few things with this fancy schmancy blog! In the meantime, pretend it's Friday afternoon, and you're enjoying this on your lunch break. ;)

As you are reading this, I will be on my way to Saint Augustine to watch Patrick's cousin get married. K and B don't shy away from a good time, they're beyond excited to be marrying each other, and this is a big, crazy, fun-loving Catholic family, so to say that it won't be an austere occasion will be understating things a bit. 

Between Patrick and myself, I'm not sure who enjoys weddings more. (Possibly he does.) When you consider all the fun stuff that comes with wedding celebrations, it's no wonder we love them. What is so great about them, in my opinion? Why, I feel a list coming on! Allow me, please, to enumerate a few reasons...


Why Weddings are Rockin' Good Times
 
I've lookbooked my whole closet and think this will improve my chances for hotness.
 
1. It's an excuse to get dressed up. I recently read an article stating that many women enjoy the process of picking out outfits and getting ready for parties more than the events themselves. When I thought about, I totally agree. Weddings are perfect occasions to enjoy shopping for the perfect necklace to go with your dress. Rampaging through your closet to try on every dress and fancy outfit you can put together. Modeling in front of the mirror hoping your roommate/significant other/cat doesn't see the ridiculous poses you strike. (The cat always looks at you in such a way that you know what she's thinking: you look stupid.)
 
2. Eye candy. You took all that time to get dressed and looking as nice as you can. You weren't the only one who did. If you have a spouse or significant other, you get to see them when they are looking sharp. If you don't, then you have a bounty of well-dressed ladies and gents to ogle while trying to remember you're (most likely) at a religious service, but making notes to get their attention later. Cute guy at Table Jamaica? Hot chick by the buffet? Even the cute old couple shaking their geriatric tail feathers on the dance floor? Enjoy the view!
 
 

 
3. Copious amounts of food and drink. I'll state for the record that, no, one does not have to be feeding their face or drinking alcohol to have lots of fun. But it sure does help. A drink or two loosens you up socially. A plate full of cocktail meatballs, tiny chicken bites, cheeses--and, oh for the hell of it, a stick of celery and 2 mini carrots and a strawberry or two (that's just for appearances, and to give yourself the illusion that you didn't eat all bad foods)--is delicious, gives you something to do if you don't know the people at your table, or gives you something to hold if you don't know what to do with your hands.
 

 
4. Dancing. One thing to do with your hands, if you're unsure and have already thrown your plate away, is to throw them in the air and wave them around like you just don't care. Listen, the lyrics don't tell you that you CAN'T care in order to throw you hands up. Just act like you don't!  If you do it enough, maybe you will stop caring. I used to be pretty snotty about those people on the dance floor who, I thought, were making fools of themselves with their terrible dancing. Now, I realize they were having a thousand times more fun than I was perched in my slipcovered folding chair of judgement. I have gotten more self-conscious about dancing as I've gotten a little older, but I believe we should all try to be more like the crazy lady dancing by herself.
 
5. Love. I would be totally remiss (and unromantic) if I didn't mention how sweet it is to see two happy, glowing, crying or laughing people pledge their lives to each other. You are witnessing the birth of a new marriage, and marriage is much, much more than a "just piece of paper."
Is it just me, or is this best looking couple you've ever seen? Just me? Oh well!

This is but a short list, and it surely isn't the whole picture. So help me out! What do you love about weddings?
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now that's my mama's style.

SpaPeggy and Meatballs.

Love and marriage.