Multiple peanut butter cups.

'Tis the season of Advent. This means lots of things for Christians who are familiar with what Advent is. (If you don't know, here's a bit of info about it from the website of the church we attend: http://saint-peters.net/advent.)

Now that you're back, since I'm sure you all took a moment to go bone up some Advent goodness, I don't need to go into details about Advent. It means all of those good things, but it means something else.

The Advent Calendar.

This is something I've loved since I was a wee little tot, and to this day breaking out the advent calendar is one of my favorite holiday activities? Why? Well:

  1. It marks the beginning of Advent (duh) which means Christmas is tauntingly close.
  2. It's a beloved childhood memory that I carry with me and relive each year for an annual dose of warm, fuzzy nostalgia.
  3. CANDY.

Oh yeah, I definitely use the Advent calendar that means I get a little treat each day. None of this opening windows on the cardboard or moving the little ornament to the next day. Nuh-uh. Gimme candy.

I try to eat pretty healthily most of the time, try to avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup (Seerup, Surrup, however you care to say it), too many processed foods, and go organic when I can (which means: when I can afford--organic produce can be cray-cray expensive). But sometimes, there's simply nothing better than a mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. I know they're full of trans-modulated-aviation-oil, foie gras, and arsenic, but they are tiny moments of heaven; a moment in time when I savor the fat, savor the sugar, savor the chemicals.

Only one thing is better that a festively wrapped miniature Reese's cup (and I think this is pretty obvious), and that's MULTIPLE miniature Reese's cups! Sadly, my calendar holds enough for Patrick and I to each get only one per day.

I suppose that's good since a) I have terrible impulse control when it comes to candy, b) they're so bad for you, and c) all that good stuff about Advent being a season of anticipation and preparation. Not only do I anticipate the celebration of the coming of Christ, but I also anticipate the next day's piece of candy! (High-thinking and base-impulse nicely combined, right?)

I wish you all a reverential, calm, and candy-laden Advent--what's left of it, anyway!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now that's my mama's style.

SpaPeggy and Meatballs.

Love and marriage.