Bad weather. Good days. Hope you like Jane Austen.

As I write, it is a chilly, gray day. It looks like it could start raining at any moment. I sure hope it does. I love rainy weather. I love cold, dreary days. I love dark, soggy, summer afternoons. (Apparently, I'm not easily affected by S.A.D.) Why? I'm not sure, really.

When it is dark and dreary, it seems to me to be the perfect time to wear your snuggliest clothes, grab a blanket, have a warm drink (must have both hands wrapped around the mug), and light some candles. It seems it would also be wise to have deliciously scented cookies baking. Once they're done, eat them. (Don't suppose I needed to have told you that bit.)

While eating your cookie and drinking your hot chocolate, you should be doing something to improve your mind. This is when you break out the boxed set of Pride and Prejudice. Which one, you ask? Which one?! My Lord in Heaven above, the A&E one with Colin Firth! Shame on you for not knowing better. 

My floppy hair and stern demeanor you cannot long resist.
 
While sipping, snuggling, and nibbling, you'll spend a marathon afternoon enjoying the Miss Bennets, gross Mr. Collins, Mr. Bingley's super curly mop, the fact that they all called each other by their last names, and learning valuable life lessons such as: if you know yourself and have great wit, plus a pair of "fine eyes," you'll marry a cajillionaire. Or, as in mine and Mr. Sheffield's case, hundredaires. (Ballin'. Ain't scured. Wut?--That's some Jane Austen approved language.) 

Not a Jane Austen fan? Shame on you. But perhaps I can paint a different picture for you anyway. Maybe a gray day is the day to eat some beef jerky while you watch Sun Sports and catch up on that 1998 game you missed. Or perhaps a showing of the new holiday classic, Elf. Or maybe you read your newest magazine, "Big and Bad Tires for Mud Boggin' in 2013." In any of these scenarios, you're still to be wearing snuggly clothes, eating something, and drinking something warm. Fine, it can be something warming. I shant say no to a little afternoon tipple when I'm not going anywhere.

My point is, doesn't that all sound just delightful? Even if you can't actually do those things, can't you just imagine being snug at home with the warm light of a flickering candle and the flickering TV screen, instead of in your too-cold office trying to focus on work? I guess that might be it: it's because of where my brain takes me--on a delightful imaginary staycation--that I love dreary days. If you'll excuse me, then, I must wrap this up. Lydia is about to run off with Wickham and get herself into a terrible pickle, and I must attend to that... and to pouring a little Bailey's in my coffee.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now that's my mama's style.

SpaPeggy and Meatballs.

Love and marriage.