Fancy things.

I'm so flipping fancy.

That's what I wanted my interweb friends to know when I posted the filtered, instagrammed version this picture:

Let's be honest: the only reason I posted this photo is because I was so proud that I made such a divine and impressive looking meal. That's what the internet is for, after all: bragging.

In case you can't tell, this is salmon en papillote (the fancy French way of saying salmon in paper) with a maple balsamic sauce, a blended sweet potato soup, and spinach. You can call it a spinach salad if it rings your bell, but it was only raw spinach with dressing on it. I feel there ought to be at least one other ingredient to try to call it a salad.

Did I just whip this up with no guidance whatsoever?

Not a chance. I totally followed a recipe. But man, can I follow a recipe!

With a meal this snooty and fabulous, you cannot just eat it off of your everyday dishes. Non! This is not an everyday meal! This was definitely a wedding china kind of meal.
Note to all of my friends and family who wondered if I ever use that gorgeous china you were all stuck buying me because I didn't feel like registering for anything else and you didn't feel like guessing if I like white or cream towels: I definitely use my china. Your generous gifts are being used! On Monday nights in the middle of October! For no other reason than because I want to!
I plated the meals (because that's what you do with fancy food--you plate it) and set the table. So overcome was I with absolute joy at this lovely creation that I had to take a picture. Or two.

We tucked in and were happy to discover that it tasted as lovely as it looked. The Mister and I aren't huge salmon fans, but we thoroughly enjoyed this dish. (Lizzie, who is a big salmon fan, also enjoyed this dish.) The soup was simply seasoned per the recipe, but I went off-roading and added some spices of my own on a whim and a prayer. Thankfully, it also turned out really well. Smokey and savory and sweet, all at once.

As soon as the bellies were full and the table was cleared, there was only one obvious thing left to do. Post a picture and eagerly await your "likes."


Spoons are helpful for eating soup, I learned after snapping this shot.
And when that wasn't enough, the next day I decided to blog about it. Just in case you missed my picture.

Feel free to tell me how impressed you are. If you don't feel like telling me how impressed you are (taking for granted that you are impressed and just don't feel like saying so), it's cool, man. I'm impressed enough for the both of us.

Parchment paper and fancy china to you and yours,
xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now that's my mama's style.

SpaPeggy and Meatballs.

Have you seen a gorilla make love, Bruno?