Massive untold side effects.

As you are undoubtedly aware (because you voraciously read this blog and diligently memorize every word I type), I recently performed a major clothing purge. I had bags of stuff to take to Goodwill and I lost some old friends (my old, danky tees) to the garbage can. I gained the ability to not jam my clothes together in my closet.

I started that project in the name of simplifying and ultimately improving my wardrobe. As a result, I'm now very fabulous and stuff.

But you knew that, didn't you? You're so kind.

In return for your kindness in thinking what I want you to think about me, I want to issue a warning. It's something I didn't mention when talking about the initial purge of clothes. When you start to clean out your closet, there will be a massive, untold (until now) side effect:

The desire to purge will overflow into EVERY AREA OF YOUR LIFE!!!!

...Or, at least, into other closets and storage spaces. Whatevs.

You know that I went through my closet and dressers, sorted, tossed, bagged, put away. What I didn't mention is that I also went through under-bed storage containers. The linen closet. The china hutch.

If I could find a nook or cranny where stuff may be stored that we never used, I tried to get in there and clean it out.

What kind of stuff did I get rid of?

Let's start with about 30 ivory, unscented, 2" x 6" pillar candles that have been tucked away since we got married. For the record, that blessed event was nearly two years ago. I haven't set a single one of those extra candles on fire since then. Am I likely to do so, then? Nope. Bye-bye!

I've had the same set of plates since forever, but last year decided to buy another set. Why? Hello--choices! But that set I bought last year has already had a number of casualties. Why hang on to them when they break so easily? Farewell to you, and hello again to my old, tough buddies who've been with me through too many moves.

Under our bed, I (re)discovered that I had several sheet sets for a twin bed. And two twin duvets. And two twin bed skirts. I haven't had a twin bed in years. But someone out there needs a new twin-sized down comforter and flannel sheets in this cold weather. Off you go!

A really pretty plate that I never used or displayed? Farewell. The chip and dip tray that doesn't hold enough dip for 2 chips? You get used never. Adios. The one random curtain panel that I'm not sure why I still have? Ta-ta!

I spent the whole weekend going through stuff and creating a pile of stuff to get rid of that impressed even me. I probably would have worked late into the evening that Saturday, but gosh darn if I didn't have an appointment for a massage that I just had to get to.

Hmmm... continue going through the overabundance all of your pretty, nice, excess STUFF that shows you are so blessed that you can afford to just get rid of it and not suffer in any way? Or go get that massage that your sister, mad genius that she is, gave you for Christmas? Oh, decisions, decisions!

Y'all, there are no two ways around it. Sometimes in life you have to make tough, difficult decisions.

Alright, I'm being a bit facetious. But seriously, having that pile of things ready to go off to Goodwill put several things into sharp focus for me.
  1. I'm richer than most people in the world. My "problem" was that I had too many nice things that I never used and could afford to get rid of. God has blessed me, and I often take it too much for granted.
  2. Getting rid of stuff feels gooooo-OOD!
  3. Prenatal massages do, too.
Despite my massage, I managed to do enough that I had a sore back for days. But it was totally worth it. And I'm not even done.

Next I want to empty out the pantry, clean the shelves, and restock and reorganize everything. I want to take another look at the stuff I've kept and see if any of it can really go. And now that the china cabinet is a little tidier and I can get to my china a little bit better, I want to start using it more often. And keeping fresh flowers on the table. And don't forget that I still plan to buddy up to Ina and Jeffrey and chill in the Hamptons. All while wearing clothes that make me feel amazing as per the design of my perfectly curated wardrobe. And I still hope we can get a house sometime in the reasonably near future.

I think I'll start with the pantry and work my way up.

Sore backs and cleared cabinets,
xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now that's my mama's style.

SpaPeggy and Meatballs.

Love and marriage.