Da-da for the win.

Hey guys,

Remember when I said I was "really going to try to write more often?"

LOLZ. Oh well, disappointment is a part of life. You just learned a Fun lesson, didn't you?

But I'm back today to talk about.... MY BABY. Whatever, you'll live.

You know how babies "belong" to their mamas? Mama is a special person to a baby. They know--they just really know, man--that mom is the one who grew to previously unimaginable proportions in order to carry a whole separate person inside their belly, then pushed the proverbial watermelon out the proverbial hole a size of a lemon. 

Mama held that baby close in his or her first minutes of life. Mama gave up daily showers, sleep, and the ability to use their cognitive functions for CENTURIES (oh, weeks, whatever--feels the same) after baby was born.

Mama wore a frozen diaper as an ice pack for that baby.

And why? Because we love that baby. Love. LOVE. Lurve. We feel a deeply spiritual and primitively instinctual drive to care for this tiny person at ALL COSTS.

And babies KNOW THIS ABOUT THEIR MAMAS.

.
.
.
.
.

At least I thought they did.



Conversation between my child and me
[putting her in the car after a long day at day care, where surely she is thrilled, THRILLED, to be with her beloved mother again]

Me: Did you have a good day, baby?
Sutton: eee-yup
Me: Did you play with your friends?
Sutton: eee-yup
Me: Can I have a kiss?
Sutton: No. Nooooo. [shakes head]
Me: Oh, come on. [puckers up and leans close for kiss assuming she didn't understand that her loving mother wants to shower her with kisses]
Sutton: [Shakes head and escalates the "no" to a whiny "noooo" with that "I'm on the verge of crying" face]
Me: Okay, fine. Do you want to go see Daddy?
Sutton: [Breaking away from fake tears to smile and laughter] Da-da!
Me: Can I have a kiss?
Sutton: [Back to shaking head and whining "nooooo"]
Me: Do you want to go see Daddy?
Sutton: [Breaks back into smiles and laughter] DA-DA!

She loves me. Really she does.

My dad recently quipped that I'll need to have another baby if I want one of my own. This one belongs to her Da-da.

Bitterness and jealousy over the affections of an almost 16-month-old to you and yours,
xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now that's my mama's style.

SpaPeggy and Meatballs.

Love and marriage.