Rediculous.

I humbly confess that I frequently misspell a number of words that I'm pretty sure I used to know how to spell. I'd at least wager that I managed to get many of my now poorly-constructed words spelled correctly on grade school spelling tests. (Or maybe not.)

Spellcheck has ruined me. I don't even type as well as I used to. Why should I, when Outlook automatically corrects "hte" to "the" for me? On the one hand, I do appreciate not having to try. On the other hand, I'm now dumber.

Hmmm.

That said, there are some words that I DO still know how to spell. And because I know how to spell them, I assume the ENTIRE WORLD should also know how to spell them.

By some curious happenstance, I can spell "miscellaneous" without a second thought. But I'll seriously have to remind myself that it's "surprise" instead of "surprize." (That's how it sounds!)

You ever have those moments where your brain completely shuts down by refusing to access some information that you KNOW that you know? Example: in 5th grade, during a test, I forgot how to spell "of."

Yep.

Of.

I sat there wracking (not racking) my brain, wondering (not wandering) how to spell this stupid little word! I knew how to spell it, so why couldn't I think of it?!?!?!

I finally resorted to sounding it out. "Uv."

Praise Jesus that before the test was over, I remembered how to spell it and had time to go back and correct myself.

Side note: In 8th grade, while I was sitting there talking to her, I forgot the name of one of my absolute best friends. It took a few minutes before her name came rushing back to mind and I could exhale, and not feel like such an awful friend.

Side note 2: Maybe I need to have my cognitive abilities checked out by a professional.

Back to the story.

Some words that are commonly misspelled by others, I can kind of ignore. But there's one that, for reasons unknown to me, make me stop and basically dismiss anything else I read by whoever wrote it.

That word is: Rediculous.

It doesn't matter how logical the sentence, how persuasive the argument, how much I like what I'm reading, if you say something is "rediculous" I just can't take the rest of your sentence/paragraph seriously.

Now, I know this is a quirky thing for me to get so judgemental about, and further, it's pretty rotten to judge so strongly over a common error. This is my burden to overcome.

Until I reach full maturity, though, it's gonna bug me. So, allow me to say that it's RIDICULOUS. WITH AN I, NOT AN E. THERE ARE NO E'S IN THAT WORD.

Yeah, I'm shouting. It know it's ridiculous to get so irritated about something so rediculous, but, hey. We've all got quirks. After all, YOU are reading this blog. That makes no sence! Cents? Oh, it's sense. My bad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now that's my mama's style.

SpaPeggy and Meatballs.

Love and marriage.