Vladimir Putin.

Ah, the first full week back to work in the new year. What a booger. To alleviate your woes and worries (if you have any) on this Monday morning, I give you a story. It's a short story. I intend it to emphasize exactly how grown-up and mature both Patrick and myself are.

By showing you wine and freshly grated parmesan, plus my open cookbook, I clearly demonstrate how snooty and fabulous we are.
Hanging out at home after work one night last week, we sat down to a nice meal, "Orechietta with Sausage and Broccoli Rabe." I cooked this meal for 3 reasons.

1. It was in one of my 2 new Barefoot Contessa cookbooks I'd gotten for Christmas and I was excited to try a dish. (How easy is that, Jeffrey?)
2. It sounded delicious (once I figured out what the frank orechietta was--a type of pasta).
3. The Office.

Say what?

Office fans may know of Andy "Nard Dog" Bernard's old Cornell chum from his singing group, Here Comes Treble, who he constantly referenced (and was eventually portrayed by Stephen Colbert), "Broccoli Rob." When I first stumbled across the recipe, I immediately noticed broccoli rabe as an ingredient. The rest of it seemed fairly easy, so we decided to have "Broccoli Rob" for dinner.

'Twas an excellent choice! The Broccoli Rob/Rabe meal was super tasty. We enjoyed it with a little red wine and some sparkling conversation. (All of our conversations are sparkling, by the way.)

Once the meal was done, we cleared the plates and put away the leftovers and headed back out to the living room. Jeopardy was on the TV and, though I didn't hear the question, Patrick did and quickly said, "Vladimir Putin," in response to Alex's question. Half a second later the contestant buzzed in, "Who is Putin?"


I'll give you a second to let that one sink in. Say it aloud. It's fun.



I giggled. Patrick giggled. I giggled again. Patrick laughed. Then we both laughed in earnest about the fact that we were giggling about "Who is Putin?".

"That guy must have immediately thought, 'I should have used his first name, too,'" Patrick observed. Who is Putin, indeed? Who is Putin in here? Do you know who's Putin?

And we continued laughing for far too long. "Who is Putin? Is it you?"

So, that's my story. Ahem, so, yes. You can clearly see, as I've nicely demonstrated here, that we are mature, civilized, classy adults. Nicely done, me. Nicely done.

Comments

Post a Comment

Say something clever or complimentary. Bonus points for both at the same time!

Popular posts from this blog

SpaPeggy and Meatballs.

Now that's my mama's style.

An experiment with punctuality: the first week.