Does this cream cheese make me look fat?

It's been a while since I've shared a pointless story with you, hasn't it?

Well, lucky you, that's all about to change.

Friday afternoon I left work early. It was the day of the FSU @ Boston College game, and hours before my sister's (early) 30th (THIRTIETH!!!!!!!!) birthday dinner.

Plans: 
Pick up sister's gift and buy groceries.
Go home and prep as much as possible.
Collect spouse and child and drive to Perry.
Throw party in my sister's own house.
Try to prevent her from working, since she has some rogue gene that makes it nearly impossible for her to just. sit. and. relax. (I think maybe I got my share AND her share of that particular DNA.)

Things went basically to plan (a small miracle in itself). Got to my sister's house. Prepped. Chopped. Set things out. Got sister to make tea. (She hates tea, but magically makes the most delicious tea, so... sorry not sorry.) People come over. We chill. We eat. We watch kids be silly and we watch football. I go to bed shortly before midnight.

Child wakes up at about 6:30 a.m. because--I slept all night. Not my fault you went to bed late, mom and dad. Oh, but I hate my pack and play so I didn't really sleep THAT great, so I'm probably going to spastically switch between angel and tantrum-throwing nutcase. 

After my sister and niece finally dragged their booties out of bed, we had some Johnson's Bakery breakfast and some more sister time. Plus coffee. And another coffee. Yeah, it's caffeinated. I bet my baby is fine. 

(Note for another post: why do I feel about 75% less concerned with every morsel I put in my mouth with Baby #2? Is this why younger children feel the oldest gets an unfair advantage? Does this unfair parenting behavior start before while the children are still in the womb? Have I accidentally already started saying, "Eh, whatever. You'll be fine, now go play over on the other side of your placenta while mama has some cold deli meats and possibly unpasteurized blue cheese"???)

After a visit with some friends and then the in-laws, we hit the happy trail back to our humble abode. Now, we're super sleepy, but hanging in there. The little one is as full of energy as ever, and I confess to my husband:

"I know this sounds terrible, but I really cannot wait for her to go to bed so I can not be on alert 1000% of the time."

We discuss how miserable life would be if we only got about 6 or so hours of sleep EVERY NIGHT, like these poor parents who are still waking up with their kids every night well into the 1st year. We agree we'd probably sterilize ourselves. We might take the extra precaution of slipping into a strictly loving, but platonic relationship, just to be safe. (Perhaps I exaggerate, but you don't know for sure, do you? You weren't there.)

We also realize that in roughly 5 months, 6 or so hours a night will sound like heaven until we can get Baby #2 to sleep like his or her big sister. But it's too late to turn this steamboat around, and we are heading, collision-course style, for some exciting few months of sleep deprivation. 

Oy.

Anyway, we put the good sleeper to bed around 7:30 Saturday night. Around 8:00, I fall asleep on the couch. At 10:00, Patrick wakes me up and tells me I probably want to go to bed. So I do. And then I sleep until 7:30 in the morning.

The lesson here is: If I don't sleep well one night, I need nearly 12 hours of sleep the following night to make up for it.

As if that's not enough, the next day I will eat about half a bag of tortilla chips dipped in about 1/3 of a block of cream cheese and the remainder of the jar of salsa I found in the fridge. 

What? You never had cream cheese and salsa? Allow me to educate you: It's the Church Snack. When we were but wee little kids at our very small church, the adult members would take turns each Sunday providing some snacks and beverages after church. A very popular one was to take a block of cream cheese, plop it on a plate, and dump a jar of salsa over it. Serve with tortilla chips. Never tried it? It's surprisingly good.

After I eat a grown man's portion of cream cheese and chips, I'll still eat a full dinner. And I'll be tired and ready for bed at 8:30 that night.

And the lesson THERE is: no, I am not anemic. I just need all of the sleep. And all of the cream cheese.

And, by the way, do you think I'm gaining more weight this pregnancy than I did my last one? Yes? I can't imagine why.

Birthdays, sleeps, and Church Snacks to you and yours,
xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now that's my mama's style.

SpaPeggy and Meatballs.

Love and marriage.