So much winning.

Listen. I'd like to put this delicately. I'd like to sound humble. But I can be real with you, right?

Lately? I've been kicking butt at life.

Domestic life, anyway.

For the past few weeks, I've been SUCH a little Suzy Homemaker. I've been doing things like "cooking meals," "staying on top of the cleaning," and "doing laundry."

During the week, even.

Normal Life: I DO NOT DO THINGS AFTER WORK EXCEPT COOK (if I must), EAT, AND GO TO BED.

Oh, and child care. I do that, too. And TV.

But, New Domestic Success and Fun Good Times Life?: I'M AWE-INSPIRING.

Are you not, dear friends and random readers, sitting there at your internet-connected device thinking, "Wow, this blog should be renamed 'Boring is Unbelievable.' Does she mean to say?--does she actually think I believe?!--that she not only cooks food, but also cleans and does laundry? Pish posh!, I say. Pish posh and... and... poppycock!"

I hear you over there sputtering over your words, and I sense your cynicism that I can handle all of those tasks while parenting, working full time, and maintaining this pinnacle of blogging perfection with the frequency with which I write.

But I'm telling you. It's totes true.

(Hyperbole is fun. So are full caps. So is looking up how to spell "pinnacle" because you can't figure it out on your own and spellcheck suggests that you mean "penile" and you're an English Major who probably ought to know how to spell all kinds of things but, let's face it, you don't anymore.)

I found a new cooking blog that I'm totally obsessed with so I've been meal planning like some kind of... I don't know... organized person. (The blog is Budget Bytes and you must check it out. The Easy Sesame Chicken? FIRE. I mean, I'm seriously, seriously obsessed. I could probably write a whole post about the stuff I've cooked so far. Don't threaten me! I'll really do it!) Meal planning isn't exactly new to me, but it was usually meal ideas like, "roast chicken and some kind of veggie." Then I'd go to the store, buy random veggies, and try to use them before they turned into a fluffy blue cloud of mold or a puddle of icky brown vegetable juice. 

Not always successfully.

Because of my obsession (DID I MENTION THE OBSESSION?) with this new-to-me blog, I've been meticulously planning dinners and doing crazy things like actually sticking to my grocery list. A few weekends ago, I actually stuck 100% to my list and didn't buy one thing that wasn't on there. That, my friends, is in some circles what they call "a miracle." (Maybe not a Divine Miracle. But it's a Domestic Miracle, and those are pretty awesome, too.) I hope it happens again one day. 

Not only have I been planning meals, but I've done all of the cooking. And I'm not just cooking. I'm slaying it in the kitchen.

Oh, some homemade marinara sauce and focaccia bread? Sure. I do that. 
A delightful baked oatmeal that will last us most of the work week? I'm SO good at that.
This super simple, creamy, tomato-y pasta dish? I just whipped that up in no time! 
An amazing black bean quesadilla? I make those with an ease and grace that would astound you.

Semi-attractive, very tasty homemade focaccia bread. Because I am a superstar.


I'M SO AMAZING IN THE KITCHEN NOW. Because you have to be amazing to make quesadillas with "ease and grace." And because I can follow a recipe.

(Did I mention that I enjoy hyperbole?)

But it's not just the cooking. I've been cleaning. Remember I mentioned that? 

Yeah, NBD. Just getting up and starting a load of laundry first thing in the morning. Just hang drying my clothes. Just scrubbing some sinks and toilets when I get home from work.

Oh, what's that? The whole house needs to be vacuumed? Not anymore, it doesn't. 

Say! Don't those boxwoods look a little scruffy? They used to, until this bada** got out there with a pair of hand snips and beautified them.

But hark! That tub needs to be scrubbed!

...Yes, it does. I don't do tubs. Patrick and I have an agreement.

But other stuff? I'm totally on it. Okay, maybe I'm about 80% on it. Still, my normal "Do the bare minimum and do it as infrequently as you can reasonably get away with--until company is coming and then you better get your butt moving, honey!" way of doing things pales in comparison to my recently found domestic energy.

Baseboards and furniture have been dusted. Tiny clothes that are too small for a certain gorgeous, energetic, fun-filled, baby-turned-toddler who is funny and fussy and has a piece of my heart...

Sorry. I got lost for a moment. 

Sutton's clothes have been sorted and put away. Tiny handprints have been cleaned from windows in a timely fashion. 

Of course, I'm not going to act like Patrick is a lazy lay-about all of a sudden. No, he cleans up the dishes after dinner (thank heavens) and generally keeps things neat and tidy because that's who he actually is: a responsible adult. (So glad I married one. Too bad he can't say the same. Oh wait! But he can... since about 3 weeks ago!)

I, on the other hand, have been temporarily (I assume this won't last forever) taken over by unknown forces. But when I crawl into my freshly laundered sheets wearing my freshly laundered PJs after a delicious meal, knowing that the bathroom is clean, and the carpets have those perfect vacuum lines, and the counters are clear? I hope this force sticks around for a minute. 

Patrick does, too. BOY DOES HE.

Baking cookies and oatmeal and all the delicious treats and also cleaning things and being really, really proud about it... to you and yours,
xo

P.S.--Seriously, go check out Budget Bytes, try a few recipes (read the comments first!), and then get back with me. I'm looking to be President of a fan club, and one that revolves around food suits me just fine. You can be, like, the Treasurer, or something.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now that's my mama's style.

SpaPeggy and Meatballs.

Love and marriage.