Soap.

You read the title of this post and thought, "What magical tale might this wondrous woman weave? Will it be Fun? I bet it will be Fun."

If you think soap is fun, then you're right.

Yeah, seriously. Not a misleading title. I'm writing about soap. Why? Because I ordered a variety of different all-natural bar soaps and I'm stupid excited about it.

Before we get into that, let's list a few little facts about Rebecca:

  1. I love skin care products. I just really do. I like taking good care of my skin. 
  2. I do not like how long it takes me to go through my routine. It's such a thing. Nevertheless, I do it because of fact #1.
  3. I'm ever-so-slightly crunchy, but aspire to greater crunchiness.
  4. I've been moving away from store-bought household cleaners in favor of good old-fashioned vinegar.

Recently I noticed I was running low on some of my skin care products. I had a little brain wave in which I put those facts together, and here's what I came up with:
Hey, self.
Hey, me. What's up?
Did you notice that we're running low on some of our moisturizers?
Yeah, we're going to need to get some more.
True dat. But I was thinking that they were pretty expensive.
Yeah, they were kind of pricey.
And we're on a tighter budget now, right?
*Laughs* Are we ever!
And you know how we've been using more natural cleaners and vinegar in our quest for crunchiness?
Yeah... 
Don't you think it makes sense that we should try something different for our skin care?
I think I see where you're going...!
And then in unison, my personalities--since apparently there are two of them--squealed with delight:
OMG, let's get some natural skin care stuff! Yay!!! YAAAYYYY!!!!

And then they (I? We?) hugged and jumped in circles because they were (I was? We were?) so excited about this great idea.

About 5 or so years ago, my mom turned me on to a company that makes truly all-natural bar soaps. As in, you can read the ingredients without getting tongue-tied. They smelled really good, but not in that way that the stuff from the store in the mall does. They had really clean, fresh, natural scents.

For a while I used their products, very happily so, but you know how it can be. After a while I got the urge to try other stuff and over time just fell out of the habit of buying their products. (Women and their products, amiright?)

After my really great conversation with myself, as accurately detailed above, I remembered this soap company and looked them up again. They have regular soaps, of course. But they also have soaps specifically geared towards washing the face. They have whipped butters and oils for the face and body. They have salves of all kinds and even all natural deodorants. They even sell bars of shampoo soap. Everything is 100% natural and organic.

The website had a makeover since I'd last spent any time looking at it. It has a cute, homey, home-made feel to it. I spent half an eternity ready through the descriptions of items and the glowing testimonials. I was practically in ecstatics over these soap products. 

This one is made with adzuki beans! This one has calendula flower petals in it! This one is made with china clay! This one is made with honey and beer! This one has carrot juice in it! Wow! This one is made with chocolate!!! OMG a sugar scrub! No GMO products! ALL ORGANIC AND WONDERFUL!

It was as though I'd found where all my dreams of being a granola-crunchy, Earth-lovin' hippie had gone to live.

Naturally, I did what any self-respecting product lover did. I ordered a ton of samples. Soap samples. Face soap samples. Even, yes, the shampoo soap bars. I got a whipped butter for my face, too... but in a second order. In my zeal and enthusiasm while picking out samples for my first order, I kind of forgot about the fact that running low of moisturizer was why this had all started.

When my first package arrived, I eagerly opened it and daydreamed about washing my face and showering that night. (Yeah, seriously.) Ahh, the lovely floral fragrance of the Shea Rose Clay complexion soap. Oooh, the sweetness and spice in the Pumpkin Spice body soap!

But the shampoo soap... Um, I'll try you later. 

I read all about these shampoo bars, and was definitely interested. I actually spent at least a year not using commercial shampoo or conditioner before, so that wasn't the problem. (Told ya I was kinda crunchy!) It was the fact that these shampoo bars were supposed to be more difficult to use if you have hard water. Here in North Florida, the water is as hard as a chick throwing cryptic shade on facebook (which is to say, super hard). However, an apple cider vinegar rinse was supposed to help.

I put off trying the shampoo soap bar for several weeks. But when I finally got the brass to do it, it was... different. It felt totally different than shampoo. And the vinegar rinse was fragrant, not in a great way. When my hair dried though, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn't a matted, tangled mess that smelled like a salad.

It took a little bit of trial and error, but I think, several weeks and a haircut later, I have my shampoo bar routine down. And I love washing my face with the complexion soaps. They get makeup off better than anything I've ever used. And my whipped facial cream? Love it. And my body soap? The fresh smell of lemon lavender has me floating away on an herbal cloud. (No, not that kind of herbal cloud! I'm not that kind of hippie-wannabe.) 

I love all of it, and if I do say so myself, my skin and hair look great. At least, they look "not bad."

I know that this time next year I might be back to my old commercial stuff (Aveda and philosophy, I do still love thee), but for now I'm practically wearing my bellbottoms and bandanas while dancing in a field of daisies and singing along to the Mamas and the Papas. 

My next order is in the mail now, and I'm going all in. ALL NATURAL DEODORANT. Hippie Rebecca is IN DA HOOOOUUUUUSSSSEEE!

Soap in your hair and hippie dreams in your heart,
xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now that's my mama's style.

SpaPeggy and Meatballs.

Love and marriage.