Lofty wishes.

"Your words are your wishes. But your actions show your real priorities."

While I cannot take credit for those words of brilliance, I am happy to take full credit for realizing how profound they are. (Winky-face-blushing emoticon would go here to show you I'm being cheeky and humble-bragging at the same time.)

I read those words (or a variation of those words--I didn't look it up for the sake of, you know, accuracy) in an advice column last month (Carolyn Hax at Washington Post) and they have stuck with me. It was in context of a woman exasperated that her sister said she wanted to get married and have kids, but let her ex-boyfriend continue to live with her because he helped with home maintenance and, uh, other stuff. I think the phrase "handy man with benefits" was used.

The columnist said, in effect, to get over it. Her sister may wish for a husband and kids, but clearly they aren't a top priority. If they were,  she'd kick out the ex and start man-hunting with a quickness. Then she applied it to herself. She wishes she were in better shape and more toned, but comfort and downtime were clearly more of a priority.

You know that little noise that the light bulb makes when it clicks on in your head? I heard that. Or maybe it was the microwave. Either way, I heard a noise and thought, "Whoa. Smart."

The ability to recognize smart thoughts and the ability to generate smart sentences don't necessarily go hand in hand, alright?

But anyway, I thought, geez, this applies to EVERYTHING.

Take moi, for example.

I wish I had more self-control around snack foods. But I (apparently) prioritize shoving tasty treats in my pie hole.

I wish I exercised more. But I (apparently) prioritize sleeping from 9p-6a more than that.

I wish I had more self-discipline. But I (apparently) prioritize the immediate gratification of doing nothing now over getting stuff done so I can do nothing later.

I wish I made more money. But I (apparently) prioritize staying in a comfy job that I'm familiar with over any side-hustle or shimmy up the corporate ladder.

I wish I kept a neater house. But I (apparently) prioritize playing with my baby and watching Hulu.

I am a beacon of light toward which lost souls may look, providing hope for the future or humanity, am I not?

Oh. Not.

Oh well. At least I'm finally getting honest with myself. And if I want to change, to improve at all, that's where it starts. It doesn't start with my lists of things to try, or routines to implement. It starts with figuring out why I prioritize the pleasure of leftover holiday candy OVER getting rid of this tummy pooch. (Hint: candy tastes good. Sweaters hide tummies.)

The way I figure it, once I figure out what my actual priorities currently are--not my Wish I
Were's or my I Ought To Be's--I can then figure out what motivates me. If I can figure out what motivates me, I can use that to effectuate actual positive changes. That, and lots and lots of intentional prayer.


Right?

Right.

Smart things happening over here.

What do you think (she asks in vain, since your priorities are to read and NOT comment)? What things do you actually prioritize? Do you think I'm on to something big here? Will this one idea catapult me to success before I'm sued for theft of intellectual property?

Lofty wishes and embarrassing priorities to you and yours,
xo

P.S.--I have over 10,000 views! And I'm pretty sure only 1,000 of them are from me! Woo-hoo! Thanks for stopping in.

Comments

  1. I have lots of confidence that you can be successful with new priorities. Look at all the determined people from whom you descended! ( A nice way to say, "You come from families full of hard-heads.")

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Say something clever or complimentary. Bonus points for both at the same time!

Popular posts from this blog

SpaPeggy and Meatballs.

Now that's my mama's style.

An experiment with punctuality: the first week.